Monday, September 16, 2019

COUNTY ROSEBOWL FINAL AT GLEDDOCH

Ladies I feel slightly awkward blogging this, as it is a bit like blowing your own trumpet, but I felt you would all like to know that I played in the County Rosebowl final this afternoon and won 3&1.

The final was held at Gleddoch, arranged and refereed by County Captain June Lockhart who is a member there. My opponent was Linda MacDougall (Greenock and Kilmacolm), handicap 7 so I received 3 shots. It was a good match - I felt that I was hitting better iron shots to greens but Linda's putting was outstanding, 12 footers were practically gimmes, until she finally missed one by a whisker at the 15th.

I managed to get to 4 up after 10 holes, then Linda had 3 birdies in the next 5 holes! The match was finally over at the (pretty muddy) 17th where, after we both had to get a free drop to play our second shots, I finally holed a long putt for a birdie 4. Huge thanks to Sheila for coming to caddy for me, listening to my witterings about which irons to play and generally being a big encouragement.

I am absolutely delighted to win the trophy again for Ranfurly Castle - looking back at the trophy there have been 6 Ranfurly winners in the last 8 years - starting in 2012 with Iona Stephen (now a big-time Sky Sports presenter hobnobbing with the Solheim Cup girls but back then a Ranfurly Castle mere mortal!), then Denise won three years in a row (wow)  and last year Anne Judge won at Cathcart Castle. Whose turn could it be next year??